Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Diary of a Crazy Gardener

So I think I have made it perfectly clear that I really hate living in KY. The one thing that keeps me sane is gardening. Last year was the first year I could really garden because we moved into our house in July of the year before and in KY everything is sealed in a bed of clay concrete by then. It took a lot of experimentation before I found out what worked here. In Cleveland we lived near the lake. The soil was extremely fertile and loose because, basically, it had been part of the lake years and years ago. Everything grew, and everything grew really large without basically any work. In KY the soil is like clay. Especially around our house, since the builders obviously dug a hole for our crawlspace, then dumped all the crap soil around our house. We had a row of holly bushes in the front, so I bought some annuals and planted them in front of them. In a week they were dead. I was really frustrated with the bushes, because they hardly left room to plant anything else. So out they came. Here is a picture of me after I conquered the beasts:

I decided to plant a perennial garden there, but the unfortunate part was that we had drained our budget putting an extra room above our garage. I managed to get together $50 and headed to Lowe's to buy some budget plants. I bought a good bit of plants, but the front still remained rather bare. Here's a picture after the initial replanting:

During the spring and summer I went to Lowe's and other garden centers every week looking for deals. $3 here and there. I also begged and pleaded for cuttings from my parents and neighbors. By the end of the summer I had a pretty good setup. Here's a picture:

I even took some of my divisions to the school I live by and planted them in their garden. I'm really excited to see how everything comes back this year. Hopefully I'll be able to divide some of the perennials even further and extend my garden. I would really like to plant a rain garden also. Last year I added a rain barrel to my garden and was really happy with it.

I also want to get a rain chain to water the pot that sits beside my front door.
I think I'll request that for Mother's Day

1 comment:

  1. That's a real sexy picture of you.... eeep.

    ReplyDelete