Saturday, April 17, 2010

Gardening at the school

I live right in front of my son's elementary school. It was one of the selling points of our house. I love being able to walk him to school everyday.
Our house has a pretty small yard. I grew up with a pretty large yard and our last house had 1/3 acre, but our new house has a really small yard. I like to garden a lot. As a teenager, my dad would give me a plot in the garden to plant flowers and some vegetables. When we lived on my Grandma's farm I would help her tend to her gardens. The yard at our last house was really neglected so I spent numerous hours working to control it...trimming bushes, pulling weeds, planting flowers. Our new house was a clean slate. I pretty much ran out of things to do very early on. The school, however, was a mess. The gardens they did have were full of weeds, so I expanded my endeavors.
The garden at the school last year:

I pulled all of the weeds, then when that was done I decided to split some of the perennials they had (daylilies, liriope, blackeyed susans) because they were overgrown and there were a lot of bare spaces they could fill. Late last summer I got the idea to collect perennials from parents and start a perennial garden. My goal is to completely cover the space with plants so that weeding will be minimal and teachers could also use it as a means to teach about plant life. It looks pretty good so far. Everything I planted came back up, and it's filling in pretty well. I'd say by July it should be pretty impressive. I would even like to make placards for the plants. I really want it to be kind of a mini botanical gardens. I want people to not only notice its beauty, but take the time to stop and really look at it.
The garden early this spring. You can see some of the new plants coming up:

No comments:

Post a Comment