Wednesday, June 8, 2011

NYC


I don't know why I bother to blog. I don't think anyone reads it. But since I like talking to myself, I will continue to do it at least on occasion.
We just got back from NYC. We went for a wedding. It was my husband's best friend from childhood who was getting married. He just happens to be in a band called TV on the Radio. It was cool for me cuz I'm familiar with his music and movies, but have only met him a few times. Here's a picture of him and my husband.

We arrived in NYC a few days before the wedding cuz my husband has never been there before. We started by seeing the Empire State Building, which was just down the street from our hotel. I'm shocked that my husband and son both mustered up the courage to go to the observation deck on the 86th floor. It had gorgeous views of the city with the added bonus of not being able to smell the stink of NYC.

After the ESB we went to the Museum of Modern Art. What a great museum! I minored in Art History in college so it was great to see the paintings in person. My favorites were Starry Night and Les Demoiselles d'Avignon. I was amazed at how much the kids enjoyed the art. My son's favorite painting was this one by Piet Mondrian.

After the museum we wandered around Times Square then finally made it back to the hotel after getting lost.
On Saturday we started the day by taking the subway to Katz's Deli. The subway was super confusing (at least compared to DC) but we had a really good pastrami sandwich at Katz's Deli. Afterwards we hopped in a cab and headed to the Statue of Liberty. I wasn't big on taking a cab, but it wasn't really that much more expensive than if we paid for 4 people to ride the subway and much more convenient. I figured out that it was better to hail a cab near a major intersection or the driver will try to screw you by driving in circles. Anyway, we took the boat to the Statue of Liberty, which was a big deal cuz my son has an irrational fear of boats. He was okay, though.
We went up onto the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty. I managed to capture this photo of sailors in uniform saluting the flag just outside.

After the Statue of Liberty we walked to the World Trade Center to pay our respects to those lost on 9/11.
For dinner that night we went to a restaurant called Ninja, where you are served by ninjas who try to sneak up and scare you. The kids loved it.

After dinner we headed to Chinatown where we all bought Chinese outfits.

We headed back to the hotel early that night in order to give the kids a rest, but it ended up backfiring cuz all they ended up doing was running around acting like ninjas all night.
On Sunday we had some time before the wedding so we decided to go to Little Italy. My husband was dying to eat at Lombardi's, which apparently was the first pizza restaurant in NYC or America or something.

It was some really good pizza. The kids didn't even complain that it had basil on it.
We also had cheesecake at Eileen's which was featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. And of course we had to get a cannoli while in Little Italy.
Overall the trip was pretty successful although after a few days I was missing fresh air and grass. I told my husband maybe we can go back when the kids are teenagers. Good thing we will be going to the beach in a couple of weeks, I could use a vacation!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a fun trip! And amazing how much you did in just a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took me a few days to get to this. Looks like an awesome trip. The last time I was to NY was about 2 years after 9/11 so I couldn't get to the site at the time. I hope to someday be able to go back and visit it. The time I was to NY before that was when I was in Jr. High. I got to stand at the foot of the buildings and look up. It was amazing and something I will never forget. It is great that your kids got to experience NY in all of it's stink.

    ReplyDelete