Sunday, October 18, 2009

Turkey Stock

My in laws were visiting this weekend. I usually cook one meal for us to eat together. The other night we usually go out to eat. With a picky father-in-law and finicky kids, it is always a challenge to think of a meal that everyone will enjoy. This time I decided to roast a turkey breast.
Well, it turns out that the in laws left early this morning, so they missed my dinner. I figured since I had already bought the turkey, I would roast it anyway. It turned out very good. The leftover meat will inevitably become a turkey pot pie, but I'm still left with a carcass. Most people would toss it in the garbage, but since I am incredibly cheap, I like to take it one step further. Tomorrow I will submerse that bad boy in pot of water and turn it into turkey noodle soup. It's really not that hard. You just need to put the carcass in water until it is covered, then simmer it (covered) on the stove top for about an hour. I usually strain out all the crap that comes off of the turkey, then put the broth back into the pot with celery, onions, carrots, garlic and a few chicken bouillon cubes. Pick off all of the loose turkey meat from the carcass and throw that into the pot, too. After the vegetables are tender I add a few handfuls of noodles, then boil (uncovered) until the noodles are done. My kids love homemade soup. It will last them for days. If you leave out the noodles, you can even freeze the soup to use when someone comes down with a cold. Nothing like a nice bowl of homemade soup when you are sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment